39 Posts

SAFER CYCLING ( BE AWARE )

AFTER THE BRADLEY WIGGINS ACCIDENT A FEW WEEKS AGO I HAVE FOUND THAT MOTORISTS ( WHICH I AM AS WELL AS A CYCLIST ) HAVE BEEN A LOT MORE AWARE OF ME ON THE ROAD, WHICH IS A GOOD THING. HOWEVER ONLY THE OTHER DAY ON MY WAY HOME FROM WORK, I WAS TAKEN OUT BY A DRIVER PULLING OUT OF A PARKING SPACE ON A WELL LIT ROAD. I WAS WEARING MY HELMET, BRIGHT ORANGE TOP AND USING LIGHTS. THIS RESULTED IN 2 FRACTURED RIBS & A HAIRLINE FRACTURE OF MY SHOULDER BLADE. MY LEFT LEG DOESNT LOOK TO PRETTY EITHER. THE DRIVER SAID SHE COULDNT SEE ME ( MALE OR FEMALE ISNT RELEVANT !!) AN EYE WITNESS SAID SHE WAS USING A MOBILE AT THE TIME. I DONT KNOW IF WE NEED MORE RULES OR JUST A GOOD CAMPAIGN TO MAKE PEOPLE AWARE ( BOTH PARTIES ) I DRIVE FOR A LIVING AND SEE MANY TOO CLOSE EVENTS WHERE ITS NOT ALWAYS THE DRIVER. WHEN PEOPLE ADD TO THIS WE SHOULD BE OPEN MINDED AS THERE ARE IDIOT CYCLISTS OUT THERE ASWELL.

1. First of all Jez, I hope you are on some good pain meds? My accident happened just over 4 weeks ago, and though my injuries aren't as serious as yours, (no broken bones) I still have a great deal of pain in my right thigh :( Anyway, I'll call you limpy from now on - cos that's what everyone call me now, lol!

Anyway, Re: The Bradley Wiggins incident; The same thing happened to me just a week before his. It was a young lad pulling out of a side street in his car. Unfortunately, no independent witnesses, but the cop is gunning for the driver - BIG TIME. I have been a driver and a cyclist for 40 years (I started very young - dad is a trucker, so I had a unique perspective of 'idiots' etc... using our roads).

Thing is, I feel that a campaign IS NEEDED. We used to get adverts for "Think Bike" (remember those?) which was aimed a motorbikes. I don't know if that ad was successful or not, but I know it hasn't been on for years now.

Something I do notice, is if I am riding when kids are about, they will walk out into the road right in front of me without even looking!! How I have never hit any of the "precious darlings" is due to my insight and luck. But guess who would be in the wrong if I DID hit any of them. I told the cop who took my statement of that issue, but think it fell on deaf ears. Kids just give a lot of abuse at me cos I've shouted at them to get out of the bloody way, and because they somehow think it's their divine right to walk into a road without looking.

We somehow need something to make motor drivers AND pedestrians THINK about cyclists approaching. Just cos Pedestrians can't hear an engine, they think they are safe to dilly dally in the road! Car/van etc... Drivers need to be alert at all times - they are driving a lethal weapon - and I don't think they even realise that fact. When they are driving they have to be aware of ALL potential road users.

How many have you have seen the driver chatting away in the car in front - and you just KNOW they are not paying any attention to the road whatsoever. Some have kids jumping around all over the place (another distraction) and of course - using a phone is now the classic excuse for not paying attention.

And yes, unfortunately, there are idiot cyclists out there as well. They really get my goat when I do see one, as it is these idiots who are rembemered and people in general tend to tar everyone with the same brush. (I think that is human nature - and a huge flaw that is too!)

As for a campaign, I don't mind writing to my MP, or even Dave to see if something can be done. It must be better to try to make everyone aware of cyclists, motorbikes, and even horse riders, joggers, etc... - anyone that uses the roads basically. Than to have ambulances come out, and use hospital resources, and police and coursts and everything else that happens after an accident.

Jez, what do you think? I will be more than happy to add your name onto my letter as someone who has had a Bradly Wiggins. I actually had been wondering myself about a campaign, but generally it helps to have others behind you.

Again, I know how you feel. You are hurting real bad and it's difficult to get comfortable. That's why I hope you are on really good meds. They help to a certain extent, but time is the real healer here. TAKE CARE for now.

2. 39 Posts

Feel free to put my name on a petition Barn Swallow

J . Thorp aged 45 ( for the next 3 weeks anyway then its jez 46 )

3. Will do. I've drafted a letter, just need to re-read it through before I send it, as you do.

BTW, You are the same age as I am, only I'm not 46 till next Sept. Only I don't feel 45!

I managed to ride a borrowed bike today. My first ride since my accident. Came home and threw up! Leg is killing me too :( Only went about 6 miles (I have to guess as it doesn't have a speedo). Bike is way to big for me but I needed to ride again!

I contacted the young guy who pulled out in front of me through letter to give him a chance to sort out the situation amicably, but had no response. So now, the gloves are off and I've had to write to his insurance company to try to sort it. I am assuming the worst and suspect I will end up filing a court case.

Anyway, enough of my woes.

A Very Happy Birthday in 3 weeks to you Jez. I hope you will be feeling a lot better from your injuries by then.

Jen Taylor aged 45 going on 25 (until next Sept.)

4. 1 Post

Hi people. 

Firstly, hope you're well on the road to recovery from your incidents. I have to confess that I've been lucky so far, having had a couple of near misses but nothing worse than a bruised elbow for my troubles. That said, I fully expect to have a coming together one day. Unfortunately, it seems almost inevitable. 

Your idea of some kind of campaign is a good one, but the public in general have short memories and you might think we'd be back to square one as soon as the campaign finished.

Possibly a better bet would be training for cycle users. I spent a couple of hours one Saturday morning with a National Standard / Bikability instructor and was able to see ways to improve my performance on the road, in traffic. 

I was recommended a book, 'Cyclecraft' by John Franklin which was informative, if not a little heavy going. There were several things which at first seemed a little alien to me, like his idea of road positioning for example, but having tried it, I actually feel more confident and safer on the road.

Of course, it's desperately un-cool to go to one of these places, because, obviously, we've all been doing it for years and we know everything, right. Not so, it turned out.

I think, if nothing else,  we, as cyclists, have to take a more active role in our own safety on the road. There will always be morons behind the wheel of vehicles, and, equally, riding bikes (I kid you not, I saw a lad texting whilst cycling the other day) .... but we each need to do what we can to protect ourselves. It won't stop accidents, but it might just reduce the number a bit.

What do you think?

You need to be a member to add a reply. Please Login or Register