Continuing to build your threshold power.
- Warm up: 5-10min.
- Check your zones and get your threshold right. Throughout the whole session vary the cadence every 5min. 5min 80-85rpm, 5min 90-95rpm
- 10min @ 40 watts below threshold watts or 20 beats below threshold heart rate.
- 10min @ 30 watts below threshold watts or 15 beats below threshold heart rate.
- 10min @ 20 watts below threshold watts or 10 beats below threshold heart rate.
- 10min @ 10watts below threshold watts or 5 beats below threshold heart rate.
- 10min @ exactly threshold watts. Your heart rate will gradually rise above threshold as tiredness and dehydration occur.
- Warm down: 5-10min
This is a tough old session. Stay tough mentally. Visualise winning a race or doing a huge PB. It takes suffering to win.
Threshold is the power/effort that you'll time trial at. By riding below threshold you'll gradually push it up. You're training your muscles to process the lactic acid (pain) more efficiently at threshold effort.